About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The one with Regret




“To regret one's own experiences is to arrest one's own development. To deny one's own experiences is to put a lie into the lips of one's life. It is no less than a denial of the soul.” (Oscar Wilde)

Up until now, I’ve always said that I have no regrets in life. I always said that my experiences were what shaped me into who I am. Although I still believe that, I have known my first real feelings of regret. I have asked myself countless ‘what if’ questions and wondered how things could have been different, better. After considering the ‘what if’ questions, they seemed to me, as regret. I regret the way things happened thus needing to ask a ‘what if’. Depending on the context I suppose the regret, the ‘what ifs’, can either be a time for change in perspective, a time for learning and growth, a time of stagnation, or a time of cynicism.

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.” (Oscar Wilde)

I’m not saying that I’ve become a cynic; I’m only trying to gain some perspective.

“A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreams.” (Proverb)

Although I often feel old, I am attempting to not actually become old. At least not yet. I am trying hard to keep my dreams in tact while I try this whole different perspective thing. I am scared of my regrets replacing the things I long for, the things I hope for. I have an entire lifetime before me and I want to live it.

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” (Oscar Wilde)

In living and not merely existing, I am aware that ‘the truth is rarely pure and never simple.’ (Oscar Wilde) Truth, whatever that may actually be, is a whole other boat to possibly sail later. For now, I will choose to believe that ‘we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.’ (Oscar Wilde) I love stargazing, so I think that’s a good sign.

Ps. I really adore Oscar Wilde.


No comments:

Post a Comment