About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The one with Del Mar, Day 1

I woke up to drilling, hammering, shattering, and cursing. At least I was prepared. It was a fun way to start the morning; listening to grown men talk like high school hooligans.

I eventually decided to get out of bed. I showered, ate a hearty breakfast of shredded wheat, and headed out towards the beach. Luckily, Mark drew up a little map for me, so I had no problems making the short walk there. It was beautiful; just like I knew it would be. I will never grow old of the beauty of the sea, the sand, the smell, the waves, the shells, the sounds, the peace. I walked around for a bit taking it all in: watching people and imagining their stories, taking pictures, readings, and contemplating. I could have sat on my bench all day reading and watching, but I grew chilly and my toes were starting to itch from the sand.

Walking home was a bit more wearisome. Between the sand in my shoes, the hills, and the hunger ache in my belly the walk seemed to take forever. I totally did not mind because I was away from home, taking my first real adventure by myself, and the scenery was outrageous.

Upon returning back to the house, I heated my leftovers from the previous night, walnut and butternut squash ravioli. I would say I ate in peace, however, the drilling, hammering, shattering, and cursing was still going on. So instead, I played a game with myself and tried to hear my own thoughts. I’m not sure if I won or not.

After lunch, I was completely full and worn out, so I lay down. I watched Scrubs for a bit and somehow managed to fall asleep. I napped for a relatively long while despite all the commotion around me. When I woke up, Mark was back so we chatted and waited for Emily to come home.
Today is Larry dog’s 7th birthday, so we had to keep the tradition going and take him to the pet bakery for some treats. He gobbled down a ‘hamburger’ and a beef flavored cupcake. He also ate his dinner when we got back to the house. Since the dogs had eaten, we decided that it was our turn.

We had Thai food that was, of course, super delicious. During dinner we shared an array of humorous family memories: silly Thanksgivings, Christmas plays, camping fiascos, and other fun adventures. After dinner it was decided that we next needed frozen yogurt. So, off we went. The place we went actually had whoppers for my frozen yogurt and I was beside myself. Just at dinner we were talking about a frozen yogurt place in Blue Springs that we used to frequent; I always got whoppers in my ice cream there and have yet since found a place with whoppers. Needless to say, I got whoppers (and kit kat, too).

There were no good movie times left at the theater, so we came back to the house. We took a few pictures before putting our jammies on. We chose a movie to watch, I feel asleep as always, and at some point we all decided it was time for bed. When the dogs came inside to go to their beds we all realized that it STANK. 

Turns out Remy had been skunk’d. He reeked and was foaming and drooling like crazy. Mark ran around the backyard with a flashlight looking for clues while Emily got the skunk kit. While looking for the skunk kit she saw a mouse run across the garage (thank you, remodel). Apparently skunks have been spotted in the neighborhood before and that’s why there was a skunk kit in place. We ended up bating both dogs in a cleaning solution and plan to call the vet in the morning just to make sure that there are no other steps necessary to eradicate the skunk from the boys.

After showering off, myself, I believe that now everyone is in bed.  Here’s hoping that tomorrow brings more adventures, just maybe not as stressful ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment