About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

The One where Addie Beth Turns Seven

     Seven years ago today I remember feeling jealous that my parents were able to be at the hospital for the birth of my cousin’s daughter. At the time, I lived away from home, and was living vicariously to celebrate the new babe. 
     Although I did not have to live vicariously through becoming the new babe’s godmother or through her first birthday party, I did still live away from home. With no intention to ever live back at home I often wondered about having a relationship with my goddaughter and how it would ever evolve. 
     Fortunately, I have lived back at home now for 6 years and every single day I thank God for the blessing that is having an actual relationship with and being close to my goddaughter. She is my favorite little human. She challenges my thinking and my actions. She makes me realize how precious life is and helps me to show love in creative ways. I love the days when we can go on Hilly and Addie adventures to see a movie or to explore Science City. I love playing games and doing puzzles with her. Even though I am terrible at art, I love helping her illustrate a book that she has authored. And I especially love having her stay the night at my house for sleepover parties so that I can spoil her rotten which I will be doing soon. 
     My aunts are special people to me. As a kid they would invite me over and spoil me rotten. Even now, as a big kid, they still invite me over and spoil me rotten. They’ve taught me how to bake, how to travel, how to vote, and how to love. It is to my aunts that I look when I need inspiration on how to be a good role model for my goddaughter. I can only hope that when she is 30 and looks back on her childhood memories with me that she feels half as much acceptance, understanding, and love as I do when I look back on mine.

     Happy 7th Birthday Addie Beth!

No comments:

Post a Comment