About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The One with Paying it Forward

The idea of "paying it forward" is by no means a new concept. Story after story has been shared lately about someone paying for the drink of the person behind them in line at Starbucks. I had my first "pay it forward" experience recently at a local grocery store. As I was walking to grab a cart, quarter in hand, a nice gentlemen hollered out to me and gifted me his cart with no expectation of getting his quarter back in return. I sincerely thanked him and began my shopping. After my shopping was complete, I noticed two gals were walking into the store as I was walking out, so to continue the forward motion of this current "pay it forward" act I offered them my cart. They sincerely thanked me, just as I had thanked the man I got it from, and they offered to help me carry my goods to my car.

With all the strife and heartache in the world, most currently and close to home is the battle in Ferguson, it is these small acts of kindness that give me hope. People really are capable of good. I will take kindness, no matter how small the dose, to challenge myself to be optimistic and forgiving of people as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment