About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Friday, August 26, 2011

The one with surviving Romania (and therapy)


Before I moved back to KC, I saw a counselor twice. This was major for me. I always had this thought that people should be able to figure out their own problems and not need to lay on a couch and be analyzed. I knew that I needed help, however, and sought it in the form of a therapist. Even after I made the move back home, I continued to seek guidance. 

I was skeptical of visiting with a therapist at first, but I quickly learned to trust and appreciate whom I was sharing so much with. My first therapy appointment was four months ago. I have come a mighty long way since then. At that first appointment I was trapped under a lot of weights and was so uncertain of absolutely everything. Through talking out different situations and feelings with an unbiased individual, I have been able to gain a different perspective, I have learned things about myself, I have learned new values, and I am learning that my situation is not the end but simply an unplanned stop.

My divorce is a chance to see the beauty and feel the heat of Romania. No, I’m not going to Romania. Imagine being on a bus traveling through Europe. The language is confusing and you are having trouble making sense of your surroundings. Suddenly you can no longer stand the ruckus and you get off the bus. You find yourself in Romania. There is poverty all around. It is unbelievably hot. You venture around and although you are disoriented and nauseous you eventually learn to love and appreciate your unplanned stop because it has given you a chance to see life differently. Romania is not your final destination. It is a detour. You get back on the bus and are anxious to see where your next stop will be. Whether planned or unplanned you take with you what you learned while in Romania.

Having experienced my own Romania I am now slowly walking back towards the bus. I am reluctant at times, but then I remind myself that I have choices, I have a life, and I intend to make it as pleasant as possible.

Today’s therapy session was my last, for a while anyway. I generally feel pretty great about life and am attempting to be optimistic. I continue to make choices and find happiness in them. After therapy I went to Target (I should have taken Mallory Flippin with me…). While there I found season 4 of the TV show Psych for $9.99. To celebrate life and feeling accomplished, I totally bought it up. What a deal.

Here’s to surviving Romania and forging my way through another unknown prejudice that I carried, therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment