About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The one with the first day of high school


Plinky suggested sharing a mass transit story. In light of students going back to school, I’ll share a story about my first day of high school.

It was the first morning after summer, so of course I was tired. I trekked up the “Killer Hill” to my bus stop. Kyle Arnold and I were the first two there. While we waited for the rest of our bus stop group to arrive, a ‘short bus’ stopped at our corner. Kyle and I looked at each other and without speaking we were able to communicate that neither of was getting on that bus for any reason. A few seconds later the bus rode on without us on it.

By this time, the rest of our bus stop group had arrived and we all silently waited for the bus. The next bus that came along was normal sized and we all got on. I remember it being very full and feeling like the others already seated looked smaller than me. I had to walk all the way to the back before I could find an empty seat. I took it and rode with my backpack in my lap. From my bus stop on we went the opposite direction of the high school, but I did not think much of it at the time. I thought that maybe the bus routes were just different in high school. Over the course of the next 10 minutes we only got nearer to the middle school campus.

It was not until we were actually pulling into a parking space at Bridger, the 8th grade center, that I believed where we were headed. I ended up back in middle school on the first day of high school. I, along with the rest of my bus stop group, had to ride in the 8th grade principal’s car to high school. We were late, we were embarrassed, and we tried so hard to forget. It is too good of a story, however, to have forgotten. 

Luckily, I got on the right bus when it was time to go home…

No comments:

Post a Comment