About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Monday, November 7, 2016

The One with Wayfare

“Come ye sinners, poor and needy
Weak and wounded, sick and sore
Jesus ready stands to save you
Full of pity, love, and power"

Eight years and many moons ago, I, along with a handful of other weak and wounded spirits, decided to start a journey together. That journey has come to be known as Wayfare. Warfare is a non-typical community that is intentional about getting back to the basics of "church". That is done through practicing the rhythms of simplicity, authenticity, restoration, sharing, and being organic. Forgive me, Abuelo, as I am sure to have misworded that explanation. 

“Come ye thirsty, come and welcome
God's free bounty glorify
True belief and true repentance
Every grace that brings you nigh"


It is with a thirst and hunger in our hearts that we gather and partake in the Eucharist and welcome others to join us at the table. Yesterday, that gathering was drinking a glass of red wine from a plastic cup while listening to a bluegrass jam session of old hymns in a barn.

“I will arise and go to Jesus
He will embrace me in His arms
In the arms of my dear Savior
Oh, there are then thousand charms"


The nostalgia hits hard when I return to my Wayfare family and I am embraced with open arms. That is the love of God in the flesh.

“Come ye weary, heavy-laden
Lost and ruined by the fall
If you tarry until you're better
You will never come at all"


Take the time to be present and commune with others. Come just as you are. Weary. Heavy-laden. Lost. Ruined. Come just as you are.

“I will arise and go to Jesus
He will embrace me in His arms
In the arms of my dear Savior
Oh, there are ten thousand charms"


"Come Ye Sinners" was the first song that Wayfarers sang together and has become something of an anthem. I sing the words and am reminded of the state my spirit was in eight years ago and rejoice in the freedom that I have now when I commune with those on this journey with me.

Peace be with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment