About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The One with Recognizing Happiness

Birthdays are a celebration of life and the celebrations have lately been plentiful. I just finished reading an article about Hospice and life reflections. There was a reminder at the end about what a joy it is when you are able to recognize, in the moment, how much good and happiness is happening in your life. I believe that you become even happier when you recognize happiness. Birthdays are the perfect time to reflect and recognize happiness.

For as long as I can remember I have loved celebrating birthdays and not just my own. Maybe it’s because my parents always did big birthdays or because we extend the celebration to a month versus one day, but I always look forward to birthday celebrations. It is a time to be grateful for being given another year and a time to revel at what is to come. It is time dedicated to feeling special and loved and a time to remember past celebrations. I understand that some people do not like birthdays because it makes them feel old and they do not like to be reminded of just how old they are, however, it should be a joy and accomplishment to say that you’ve reached another year.  

An older gentleman at work is celebrating his birthday today and he is one who treats his birthday like any other day. When prompted to at least have a birthday dinner he says that I will understand when I reach his age. “I hope not,” was my response. I hope that I never get so intimidated by my age that I fail to use my birthday as an extra reason to recognize good and happiness. That said, I do think that my workmate is now entertaining the thought of the All-You-Can-Eat shrimp at Red Lobster for later today.

Cheers to recognizing happiness and celebrating the good!

1 comment:

  1. I love this and I love you.
    So blessed to have you in our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete