About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The One With Remy


Four weeks ago tonight I took a picture of my Dharma-bear resting with her grandpa before Mr. Remington Gregory (as I affectionately refer to him) graced our household.

The first encounter between the two dogs did not in any way happen as I had envisioned. I imagined rear-end sniffs, face licks, and happy jumps. Instead Remy growled and lunged in the front yard, which left Dharma scared, traumatized, and later confused when we brought him inside with us.

The first few days they both remained on their leashes although Remy had already warmed to Dharma. She was reluctant to share any sort of affection or attention and was no stranger to turning her head away when he trotted by. Finally, feeling a surge of braveness, I unhooked the leashes from both of their collars and took a deep breath. It was fine. They both just sat where they were.

Things have remained relatively chill since then. There has been an occasional growl when one takes the other’s spot on the couch, a few barks when Remy wants to play and Dharma does not comprehend the idea behind fetch, and a minimal amount of redirection during the one night that they both stayed in bed with me.

It is nice to have another dog around even when all 36 pounds of him jumps into my lap and leaves my crotch aching for longer than welcomed. Even though Dharma does not like to share it is pleasant to see her sharing her tricks and blankets with her new brother.

Cheers to puppy buddies!


No comments:

Post a Comment