About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The One with Wrestling

In high school I knew zilch about wrestling, yet now, super post high school, I am starting to learn. Last night I attended my first wrestling dual. I always thought it was called a match, but the matches are between individual wrestlers whereas, a dual is between two teams.

The drive to Olathe was a long one. Accident traffic is never fun, especially when you have somewhere to be, and I was anxious to pick up my best friend from high school and head to the dual. Finally, we arrived at the school and laughed our way inside where we looked in a number of windows and peeked behind many doors before finding any wrestlers. We almost just went to watch the band concert instead.

We got many stares from the high school students as we sat in the bleachers to cheer on a team we hardly knew for a sport we knew even less about. In was fun and funny to be sitting in a high school again with my high school best friend recounting our own glory days and rehashing all the ways we did not fit in at our own high school and laughing at how we did not fit in at ONW either.

As the dual went on we got better at figuring out the rules. Or maybe we were just having too much fun and were actually making up our own rules. Either way, wrestling started to make sense to us. And then it was over in an eruption of cheers. It was a fun win and I am glad I got to see it happen.

After a celebratory dinner it was time for me to drive back to Independence, but not before getting pulled over. There are some similarities in the two times I have been pulled over. First time I was sitting at a red light and waiting to turn left, same last night. First time I had just made the turn and the lights came on behind me, same last night. First time I had no idea why I was being pulled over, same last night. First time it was for expired plates, last night was for a malfunctioning headlight. First time, I got a ticket; last night I only got a warning. First time was the exact day that my new insurance card went into effect, same last night. 


What I have learned. Olathe police are nice, Independence police are not. Oh, and wrestling is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment