About Me

My photo
Dreamer. Reader. Traveler.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

The one with the childhood lesson

I had these 3 friends: Herminia, Miriam, and Angie.  These girls are sisters and they lived in the house on the corner.  One sunny day I was allowed to join in on their fun in their backyard.  We played on the swing set, we ran around, we had fun.  I knew it was time to go home when my dad appeared at the gate in the fence. 

“Hilary, tell Bea [their mom] thank you for having you over to play.”

From me, silence.

“Hilary, it’s time to go home.  Say thanks.”

In my young little brain I thought, “I’m not ready to go home, so I’m not going to say anything.”  Instead, I ran out of the backyard, through a few front yards, and to the walkway in front of our house.  I knew my dad was running after me, so I turned around, stuck my tongue out, put my hands on my hips, and did a little na-na-na.  I continued my run to the front door, to my rescue.  It was locked.  I had to wait, defeated, for my dad to catch up to me and unlock the door. 

I got a spanking that day.  The only one I remember getting from my dad.  Lesson learned: Do as Daddy says.

1 comment: